Extra info on the canal area

Located five kilometres due west of the city centre, Inchicore lies south of the River Liffey, west of Kilmainham, north of Drimnagh and east of Ballyfermot. The majority of Inchicore is in the Dublin 8 postal district. Portions of Inchicore extend into the Dublin 10 and Dublin 12 postal districts.

The Grand Canal, was developed by the leading economic progressives of the day who formed the Grand Canal Company. This state-of-the-art waterway was, at its peak, the major passenger and commercial trading route through central Ireland. It runs through the lush productive farmlands and peat bogs of the Irish midlands. It carried significant traffic in the great boom of the eighteenth century, but faded after the railways were introduced. It is now a recreational waterway. It runs along the southern perimeter of Inchicore, along with the LUAS tramway system, which runs along its filled-in permanent way and serves the area from Blackhorse to Suir Bridge. Inchicore is also served by a range of Dublin Bus routes.



Modern day Inchicore grew from a small village near the Camac River marsh at Inse Chaoire (Irish Gaelic for "Sheep Island") where sheep were herded and watered outside Dublin city prior to market. The village developed into a significant industrial and residential suburb in the late nineteenth century, due primarily to its engineering works and west city tramway terminus. It was incorporated by the expanding city more than a century ago. In 1889 both the All Ireland Hurling and the All Ireland Football finals were played in Inchicore. It was the first time a venue in Dublin had hosted the finals. Dublin won the hurling final, while Tipperary won the football final.


Inchicore's centre, at the junction of Emmet Road and Tyrconnell Road, still retains a village atmosphere. The area includes one bank, a variety of local stores including a butcher/deli, hardware, ethnic stores, and two mid-size supermarkets. The village is served by several pubs, including the ancient Black Lion Inn, car sales, motor repairs and several restaurants and take-aways.


Inchicore has a strong association with the national transportation system. The major engineering works of the Irish railway network is located here. They are still a major employer among other significant industries and national distribution depots. Inchicore is undergoing considerable public and privately funded development. It is experiencing strong growth in the density and diversity of its population.


The Camac river enters Inchicore flowing northeast from the Landsdowne Valley in Drimnagh. It flows east through Inchicore, through Kilmainham and Bow Bridge, and into the River Liffey near Heuston Station. Much of its course is now culverted and covered by buildings. During the eighteenth century small industries, primarily paper and textiles, developed along the Camac, which at the time was characterised by water mills, water wheels and weirs. In the 18th century, mills at Goldenbridge (Glydon Bridge) were producing paper and flour. Much of the industrial archaeology has disappeared but remnants still exist in the area. Kilmainham mill still exists and much of the machinery is still in place. Although derelict a new committee has been set up with a view to securing its preservation.


The Irish National War Memorial Gardens contain a monument designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. It lies to the north of Inchicore. There is an Inchicore entrance on Con Colbert Road. It commemorates the fallen Irish of the Great War. Official record books held in museum buildings there are inscribed with the names those who gave their lives. The gardens are also accessible from the South Circular Road, en route toward Phoenix Park can be accessed by crossing over Islandbridge (Sarah Bridge).


There is an early reference in Bluebell cemetery Church ruins dated 1254 when the people who lived here were most likely part of the Barnwall's Drimnagh Castle estate and home farm. Bluebell was part of the Civil Parish of Clondalkin. Until the 1950s, Bluebell was mainly a market garden and farming community on the outskirts of the City. It was developed for residential housing by the Dublin City Council in the post war housing program, which brought an influx of young families into the area.

Over the years, the area became heavily industrialised development with the coming of paper mills, making use of the Camac river for their water supply. Gradually more industry moved into the area like Lambs, Roadstone, Nugget, McInerneys, Fiat and Volkswagen


Goldenbridge cemetery in Inchicore was the first dedicated Roman Catholic cemetery in Ireland opened after Catholic Emancipation. The U.K. Catholic Relief Act 1829 was passed by the Duke of Wellington's government, and signed by the King under some Prime Ministerial pressure. In 1830 Daniel O'Connell, the Liberator, who was the vigorous Irish leader of the campaign for Emancipation was able to take his House of Commons seat as the first Roman Catholic M.P. (Clare) in the U.K. Parliament since 1649. Goldenbridge is the final resting place of modern Ireland's first head of government, President of the Executive Council W. T. Cosgrave who died in 1965.


Nearby Kilmainham Jail, now a national museum, was the scene of the execution of leaders of Easter Rising of 1916. In the heart of the village are three buildings of the Richmond Barracks. This was one the main British Army barracks in the city. It was a major recruitment centre for soldiers during WWI. It was here that prisoners were taken for processing after the surrender of the insurgents in 1916.

We are always delighted to welcome new members and will be pleased to answer any questions you might have about our network.


Comments are closed.